Federal Skilled Trades (FST)

Federal Skilled Trades (FST)

Eligibility and Application

Welcome to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (Express Entry) page! If you are a skilled worker with foreign work experience and aspire to immigrate to Canada permanently, this program could be your pathway to achieving your dream. Let’s explore the key details about the program and what you need to know to apply.

Key Information

Minimum Requirements

To be eligible, you must meet all the minimum requirements for your

  • skilled trades work experience.
  • job offer or certificate of qualification.
  • language ability.

Skilled trades work experience

  • have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.
  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  • show that you performed the duties listed in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties & most of the main duties.

Job offer or certificate of qualification

Certificate of qualification

A certificate of qualification proves you’re qualified to work in a certain skilled trade in Canada. This means you

  • passed a certification exam.
  • meet all the requirements to practise your trade in the province or territory that issued your certificate.


  • There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

    If you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways you can do this.

    1. If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian
      • secondary institution (high school) or
      • post-secondary institution
    2. If you have foreign education, you can get points if you have both of these

Proof of funds

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless you


You must be admissible to Canada.

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

When you fill out your profile, we’ll ask you where you plan to live in Canada. You don’t have to settle in that province or territory.

Application Procedure

The application process for the Federal Skilled Trades Program under Express Entry is fairly simple and detailed instructions are provided for each step by the government. We’ve broken down the process into steps to make it easier to understand:

  • Get a Canadian trades job offer or certificate of qualification.
  • Check your eligibility for Express Entry.
  • Create an IRCC account and Express Entry profile.
  • Submit your profile and enter the Express Entry candidate pool.
  • Wait for an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
  • Submit your permanent residence (PR) application.
  • Get your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR).

Frequently Asked Questions

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.