Sponsoring Other Relatives

Spouse – You are a spouse if you are married to your sponsor and your marriage is legally valid

Common-law partner – You are a common-law partner, either of the opposite sex or same sex, if you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household

Conjugal partner – This category is for partners, either of the opposite sex or same sex, in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from living together and therefore cannot qualifying as common-law partners or spouses

Who is eligible to sponsor?

  You are at least 18 years old
  You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
  You cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  You can prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
  Not charged with a serious offence
  Not be bankrupt
  Not be under a removal order if a Permanent Resident

Frequently Asked Questions

The Comprehensive Ranking System is a points-based system used to assess and score a candidate's profile to rank them in the Express Entry pool. Points are awarded for factors including age, education, language proficiency in English or French, work experience (both in Canada and internationally), and other factors. The higher the score, the better the chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.