Dependent Children Sponsorship

Dependent Children

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, age 18 or over, you can sponsor certain family members to become Canadian permanent residents. You can sponsor your spouse, dependent child, common law partner, parents, grandparents or other eligible relative to become permanent resident.

Children qualify as dependents if they meet both of these requirements:

  They’re under 22 years old.
  They don’t have a spouse or common law partner.

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependents if they meet both requirements

  They are unable to financially support.
  Themselves because of a mental or physical condition.
  They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.

Who is eligible to sponsor?

  You are at least 18 years old
  You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
  You cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  You can prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
  Not charged with a serious offence
  Not be bankrupt
  Not be under a removal order if a Permanent Resident

Frequently Asked Questions

The Comprehensive Ranking System is a points-based system used to assess and score a candidate's profile to rank them in the Express Entry pool. Points are awarded for factors including age, education, language proficiency in English or French, work experience (both in Canada and internationally), and other factors. The higher the score, the better the chances of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.