Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Eligibility and Application

Welcome to the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry) page on Here, we’ll provide you with essential information for skilled workers with Canadian work experience who are seeking permanent residency.

Key Information

Minimum Requirements

As an applicant for the Canadian Experience Class, you should:

  • Have required language levels for your job including writing, reading, listening, and speaking.
  • Possess at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, within the last 3 years before application. This can be achieved through full-time or part-time work, or a combination of both.
  • Have gained your work experience in Canada under temporary resident status with authorization to work.
  • Note that your skilled work experience must be paid work. Volunteer work or unpaid internships are not considered.
  • Certain individuals are not eligible for the Canadian Experience Class, including refugee claimants in Canada, individuals working without authorization, and those whose work experience was gained without temporary resident status in Canada.


  • There are no specific education requirements for the Canadian Experience Class. However, if you have either Canadian or foreign education, you can gain additional points for immigration purposes.

Language Ability

As an applicant, you need to:

  • Meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for TEER 0 or TEER 1 jobs, or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for TEER 2 or TEER 3 jobs.
  • Take approved language tests for writing, reading, listening, and speaking, and report the results in your Express Entry profile.
  • Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


  • You must be admissible to Canada.

Living Location in Canada

  • You are expected to live outside the province of Quebec. Quebec has its own system for selecting skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, please consult Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

Application Procedure

To apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry), first ensure you meet all eligibility requirements, such as Canadian work experience and language proficiency. Create an Express Entry profile online, gather and submit necessary documents like passports, language test results, and educational assessments. Once submitted, you’ll enter a pool of candidates. If you meet the criteria, you’ll receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency. Upon receiving an ITA, prepare and submit your complete application for permanent residence within 60 days, including all required documents. Respond promptly to any additional information requests from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). After a decision on your application, if approved, you’ll receive further instructions and/or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) document. This process can take several months and the specifics may vary based on individual circumstances, so check the official IRCC website or consult with a professional for up-to-date information.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Canadian Experience Class is an immigration category for foreign workers who have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada and wish to become permanent residents.