Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs)

Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs)

visitor visas

Overview of Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs)

Introduction: Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs) are essential for individuals planning to visit Canada for a short period, such as for tourism, business, or family visits. As an official document issued by Canadian immigration authorities, a TRV indicates that the holder has met the necessary criteria to enter Canada as a temporary resident. This overview aims to simplify the TRV application process and highlight key considerations for prospective applicants.

Application Process and Eligibility: To obtain a TRV, applicants must demonstrate their intent to stay in Canada is temporary. They should have adequate financial means for their duration of stay and return. Eligibility criteria include the necessity for applicants to confirm their intention to depart Canada at the end of their visit, a clean criminal record, no security risks, and sound health. The application process varies based on the visa type and involves several steps: determining the appropriate visa category, collating necessary documentation, accurately filling out application forms, paying relevant fees, and submitting the application. It’s important to note that processing times, visa validity, and document requirements may differ depending on the applicant’s country of origin.

Professional Guidance and Extensions: As a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), our firm is dedicated to providing expert assistance throughout the TRV application process. We help ensure that applications are thorough, precise, and stand the best chance for approval. Our services cater to both first-time applicants and those in Canada seeking to extend their stay. In instances of visa denial, we provide support in understanding the refusal reasons and assist in exploring options for appeal or reapplication. The purpose of visiting Canada can vary widely, and we offer specialized services for a range of visitor visas to cater to diverse needs.

Family Visit

Canadian Visitor Visas enable family visits. Eligible visitors include spouses, dependent children, parents, grandparents, and under certain conditions, siblings, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren. Applicants must demonstrate financial stability, intent to return home, and pass health and security assessments. An invitation from a Canadian family member is required.

Multiracial teen high school students group class portrait with teacher looking at camera.

Vist as Tourist

Travelling to Canada for tourism typically needs a Visitor Visa or eTA, depending on their nationality. Requirements include a valid passport, adequate funds, no criminal record, & proof of ties to the home country. The usual stay is up to six months. The application process involves submitting documents, stating the travel purpose, and meeting other requirements based on the visit's purpose.

Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker

Super Visa

Super Visa permits parents & grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to stay for up to 5 years per entry, with a 10 validity. Applicants must have insurance, undergo a medical examination, & provide an invitation from their Canadian host, who must demonstrate financial capability. This visa is extendable for 2 more years within Canada, allowing for meaningful family reunions.

Business Visit

Business Visitor Visas allow international visitors to conduct activities like attending meetings, conferences, & negotiating contracts, without entering the labour market. Eligibility requires proving income & business base outside Canada. Applications need a valid passport, financial proof, a clean criminal record, & sometimes, a host's invitation. Typically, visitors can stay up to 6 months.

Multiracial teen high school students group class portrait with teacher looking at camera.

Visa Extension

Visitors in Canada can extend their stay by applying for a visa extension with IRCC before their current visa expires. The process includes submitting an online application, necessary documents, and fees. Apply at least 30 days in advance is recommended. With implied status, you can stay legally until a decision is made, provided you applied on time. Successful extensions are issued as a Visitor Record.

Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker

Restore Visitor Status

Restoration of visitor status in Canada is available for individuals who have overstayed their valid visitor visa but wish to regain legal status. To apply, one must submit an application to IRCC within 90 days of losing status with the necessary documents & restoration fees.  Successful restoration allows you to legally stay under specific conditions. Ensure timely application to avoid  complications.

Visa Sticker (TRV) for Study/Work Permit Holders

The Visa Sticker, also known as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), is crucial for Study or Work Permit holders in Canada who plan to travel internationally. It’s a physical visa counterfoil placed in the passport, indicating permission to enter Canada. While a Study or Work Permit allows you to study or work in Canada, a TRV is necessary for re-entry if you travel outside Canada.

Multiracial teen high school students group class portrait with teacher looking at camera.

Change of Status as Visitor

In Canada, changing status from a student or worker to a visitor is common for those who have completed their studies or work contracts and wish to stay temporarily for tourism, family visits, or other non-work or non-study purposes. This process involves applying for a visitor visa, meeting eligibility criteria, and complying with Canadian immigration regulations set by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker


Canada's visitor visas include eTA for visa-exempt travelers arriving by air, diplomatic visas for foreign diplomats, official visas for government officials, courtesy visas for mission participants, and facilitation visas for those in international travel and trade. Eligibility and application procedures vary, so applicants should consult official guidelines or their nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for accurate information.