Written by Angrez Angurana, RCIC
Starting November 16, 2023, British Columbia is prioritizing 25 construction occupations through the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP). This strategic move is part of the Province’s Homes for People action plan, aiming to address the demand for residential housing and infrastructure over the next five years.
Workers in the construction sector aiming to benefit from the BC PNP’s targeted invitations must meet specific criteria:
- Job Offer Requirements: The job offer should be permanent and full-time, specifically in one of the designated priority construction occupations.
- Trade Certification: Possession of a valid trade certificate, either issued by Skilled Trades BC or through an apprenticeship registered with them, is mandatory.
- Correspondence of Certification and Job: The trade certificate held by the applicant must be directly relevant to the construction job they have been offered.
- 22114 Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists
- 72102 Sheet metal workers
- 72103 Boilermakers
- 72104 Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters
- 72105 Ironworkers
- 72106 Welders and related machine operators
- 72200 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
- 72201 Industrial electricians
- 72300 Plumbers
- 72301 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- 72302 Gas fitters
- 72310 Carpenters
- 72311 Cabinetmakers
- 72320 Bricklayers
- 72400 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
- 72401 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
- 72402 Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
- 72500 Crane operators
- 73100 Concrete finishers
- 73101 Tilesetters
- 73102 Plasterers, drywall installers and finishers and lathers
- 73110 Roofers and shinglers
- 73111 Glaziers
- 73112 Painters and decorators (except interior decorators)
- 73113 Floor covering installers
Remember, these are not the only occupations eligible for the BC PNP, but they will receive targeted invitations once a registration is submitted.
Applying to the BC PNP: The application process for the BC PNP is quite straightforward:
- Choose Your Stream: Review Skills Immigration streams and decide if you will use the EEBC option.
- Register: Submit your registration using BCPNP Online. Registration is free.
- Wait for an Invitation: Invitations are necessary for most streams. You have 30 days to apply once invited.
- Apply: Complete all sections of the application and pay the application fee.
- BC PNP Nomination: If approved, you’ll receive documents for permanent residency application.
- Permanent Residence: Apply to IRCC for permanent residency.
For a detailed guide, refer to the Skills Immigration Technical Guide and the Skills Immigration Program Guide on our website.
Conclusion: The prioritization of construction occupations in the BC PNP is a major advancement for skilled workers in this sector, offering unprecedented opportunities. If you’re planning to apply or need more information, the BC PNP website is a comprehensive resource.
For those needing personalized guidance or specific advice on their immigration journey, Visaplus Immigration Canada Inc‘s expert team is at your service. We’re committed to helping you in achieving your immigration goals in British Columbia. For a consultation and to assess your eligibility, book your appointment with us today. Let us help you navigate your immigration path to success in this vibrant province.